Saturday, June 20, 2009

Hard at work.

There are a lot of things that make you feel good. There are a lot of things that make you feel not so good. We as humans enjoy watching other humans who are in deeper shit than us. Its elemental, its instinctive and we all love it.

This theory however can be used in a positive way too. A long time ago, when my bike had mirrors, I was riding back home from one of the most horrid days of my life. Just to make things worse my phone wasn't working, It was raining, I had left my jacket at a friend's place and I was generally tired. But the icing on the cake was a huge traffic jam caused by a lorry driver who probably had a score to settle with the city. The idiot had driven right into the median."And I said to myself what a wonderful world."

A nice pot bellied cop helped in clearing up the mess. I took a look at his white ol' school enfield and sighed, just hoping that I'd own a 'hog' like that in the near future. The traffic finally cleared up and I hit the famous Hebbal flyover. It was around 9 pm.

The view from the flyover always picks up my mood a little. Its lovely to see the buildings lit up by the lake. But I should've known that the day wasn't over. Just as I got to the top I saw two buses trying to overtake each other. What they don't realise is that they are travelling at freaking 20 kmph. All the way down I saw these two idoits play hopscotch with each other. I was ready to go postal on the next person who mananges to make this day more special.

Now came the last leg of my journey. A km on the highway, A km in the suburbs and I am home. Time to rediscover the 4th and the 5th gear on my motorcycle. I loaded the barrel and pointed it home. By now every inch of my body was soaked.

"I just need some sleep. A lot of sleep. Maybe a shower before that. Some rum. Oh yeah lots of rum." These were the thoughts running through my head when I saw something I will never forget. On my left I saw a brightly dressed sex worker. Usual sight in hebbal after 8pm. But this one was special. This person of the third gender was the only pedestrian on the entire highway. What was worse is that the rain hadn't dwindled. But not to worry. The madam was wearing a bright orange jacket. She looked like a traffic cone ready to get married. I guess she was being picked up. What amount of drive does it take for her to do that? Maybe it was out of compulsion. Maybe she has an ass for a pimp. All that didn't seem to matter. She just stood there smiling.

I was amazed by her. At how she took everything that came by completely unfazed. She made me seem like a bit of a wuss and I thank her for that. Just as I passed her I gave her a smile and a wave. She smiled back.

The last leg of the ride home was uneventful. I was too zoned to notice anyway. I got home, took a shower, Drank some rum and went right to bed. As I was lying down getting some last minute thinking done I just realised my day was done. Her day was just beginning. She showed me to smile at someone's strength, not laugh at someone pity. Thank you.

I still laugh at other people's misery though. The other day a drunk fell into an open drain and I couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the day. What to do? I am human.

1 comment:

Pranav K said...

could this be...a comeback? or the return of the one hit wonder?